County Court Judgments (CCJ’s)2020-06-26T08:46:45+01:00

County Court Judgments

Guide to dealing with a County Court Judgment (CCJ)

CALL 0800 1804 933

County Court Judgments (CCJs)

A County Court Judgment or, ‘CCJ’ is a judgment that a county court issues when someone has failed to pay money that they owe. CCJs are a simple way for creditors to claim the money they’re entitled to. The Court will consider the case and decide whether there really is a debt to pay. If there is, they will issue a CCJ. This will set out how the debt should be repaid.

Before someone takes legal action against you, it is likely they will have written to you several times requesting payment. If you are unable to pay at this stage or you simply refuse payment for any reason, you may then receive a CCJ Claim Form. This form gives you the opportunity to enter a defence i.e. present your side of the story forward, before the CCJ is decided on. If you ignore this form, it is likely that a CCJ will be issued in default.

Your Options

If you have received a Claim Form, you have several options:

  • Pay the amount in full (including any interest and court fees). If you do this, you won’t need to send the forms back. There won’t be a court hearing and you won’t have a CCJ recorded against you.
  • Ask to pay at a later date or by specified instalments. If you do this, a CCJ will still be issued but the creditor may agree your repayment terms.
  • Dispute the amount owed. If you think you owe less than is being claimed, you could return the forms explaining why. The Court will then review the case and determine who they feel is in the right. If they believe the creditor’s case, they will issue a CCJ against you.
  • Dispute the entire claim. If you don’t believe you owe anything, return the Defence Form to the court, setting out your side of the argument. Again, the Court will review the case and determine who they feel is in the right. If they believe the creditor’s case, they will issue a CCJ against you.
  • Counter Claim against the creditor. If you not only dispute the creditor’s claim but also believe you are owed money by them, you’ll need to fill out the counterclaim form. There may be a fee to do this. For example, this may apply whereby a builder sues you for non-payment, but you think he owes you money for breaching the contract.

What happens in Court?

If your case goes to court, there will be a very simple hearing, held in private. You don’t need to attend unless you’re disputing the claim or counter claiming. During the hearing, the court will consider all the evidence and make a ruling in either your favour or your creditors. If the court decides you owe the money, it will issue a CCJ. The CCJ is a court order saying you must repay the debt. It will also set out how you must repay (e.g. in full within 28-days or, by regular monthly payments).

What if you can’t pay the CCJ?

If you don’t or can’t pay, the creditor can return to court to ‘enforce’ the CCJ; this will usually involve additional costs to you. The enforcement action could include;

  • Charging Order – this secures the CCJ against a property that you own, meaning you’ll need to clear the debt before you sell the property or re-mortgage it.
  • Attachment of Earnings Order – the court may approve an order that allows payments to be taken directly out of your salary. In this case, the court will contact your employer directly.

How does a CCJ affect my credit file?

Unless you pay off a CCJ in full within 28-days of receiving the judgment and provide evidence of this to the court, it will be entered on your credit record at the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines. It’ll remain on your credit file for six years. This record can seriously affect your ability to get a mortgage, a credit card or even a bank account in the future.

If you pay the CCJ after 28-days, it will still remain on the register, but it will thereafter be recorded as ‘satisfied’; this will improve your credit file slightly, but many lenders will still view it negatively.

Can I get a CCJ removed?

The only way to remove a CCJ is to ask the court to ‘set aside’ the judgment because you have a genuine reason to dispute it. There will be a fee to pay when you submit the application to court. The application is referred to as an ‘N244 form’ and the court fee is typically £255. If you make an application without good reason, you may end up further out of pocket.

For more information about our Business Finance solutions contact us today.

CALL 0800 1804 933
Neil Batty
Neil BattyManaging Director
Neil established Anderson Brookes in 2001. He has over 20-years’ experience helping Business Owners and Company Directors that are struggling with debt.

Contact Neil for immediate help on 01204 255 051 or, email at the above address

About Anderson Brookes

I already have a CCJ is it too late to take advice?2018-02-18T19:23:32+00:00

No. Call us straight away on 0800 1804 933, in most cases we can prevent CCJ’s from being enforced by bailiffs if we are instructed early enough.

Can you help with Bailiffs?2018-02-18T19:23:03+00:00

Yes. If we are instructed early enough, we are usually very successful in stopping bailiffs from removing assets. We have written a useful guide to the powers of bailiffs on this website; please visit our Help Guide section. Whilst the Help Guide is very useful, it is no substitute for specific personal advice. Please call us now and speak with a qualified Adviser.

In most cases, we are able to speak directly with the bailiff; once they understand your circumstances, they may allow us extra time to put a repayment plan together. If the bailiff is not receptive to our requests, we may be able to help you get a Court Order blocking bailiff enforcement action for around one month. This should give us all the time we need to put a formal repayment plan in place.

Where can I check out Anderson Brookes?2018-02-18T19:20:15+00:00

Before discussing your financial affairs, we believe that you should check the credentials of the individual or organisation you intend speaking with. We are no different:

Anderson Brookes Ltd is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority; our FCA registration number is 669796. You can confirm our details on the FCA website

Anderson Brookes Insolvency Practitioners Ltd is a firm of Insolvency Practitioners. Brendan P Hogan is licensed to act as an Insolvency Practitioner in the UK by the Insolvency Practitioners Association; licence Number 101680. You can confirm the licence details at

Anderson Brookes Ltd and Anderson Brookes Insolvency Practitioners Ltd are both registered at 4th Floor, Churchgate House, Bolton, Lancashire BL1 1HL

How are Anderson Brookes Regulated?2018-02-18T19:21:02+00:00

Anderson Brookes Ltd is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Anderson Brookes Insolvency Practitioners Ltd is a separate company. Brendan P Hogan is Licensed to act as an Insolvency Practitioner by the Insolvency Practitioners Association (IPA).

Can you provide advice over the phone?2018-02-18T19:22:25+00:00

Yes. Although we are based in Bolton, Lancashire, we deal with clients throughout the UK. Most of the work we do can be completed over the phone. You will not need to visit our offices; we can however, arrange to come and see you at your home or business if you prefer.

Do you offer a Free Consultation?2018-02-18T19:21:54+00:00

Yes. We offer a Free Consultation in all cases. We will ask questions to help us understand your circumstances and provide you with a specific recommendation. Should you decide to move forward with any recommendation we have made, we will confirm any costs involved in writing, before accepting your instructions. In some cases, there will be no charge made by Anderson Brookes for the services we provide.

Do I need an appointment?2018-02-18T19:24:00+00:00

No. You do not need to arrange an appointment, simply call us on 0800 1804 933 and we’ll be able to help. If you prefer, we can arrange to call you at a time convenient to you.

Questions about our Debt Solutions

Can Anderson Brookes help with Corporate Insolvency?2018-01-20T07:50:03+00:00

Absolutely. One of our greatest success stories involves the provision of restructuring and insolvency advice to the Directors of a company turning over in excess of £35 million pa.

We are equally at home assisting sole-traders and self-employed individuals.

Can you help with debts in a Limited Company?2018-01-20T07:49:10+00:00

Yes. Providing debt advice to the Directors of limited companies is our specialist area. There are a wide range of debt solutions available to limited companies struggling with cash-flow problems. Our aim is make sure Directors understand all their options before taking any action.

Do you only offer formal insolvency advice?2018-01-23T18:09:11+00:00

No. In fact, most of the people that call us for advice do not need a formal insolvency procedure. Before recommending any specific debt solution, we will help you consider all the options available to you. This will include providing you with self-help guidance and advice on informal debt solutions.

As you would expect, in the event that you do need insolvency advice our Licensed Insolvency Practitioner will be able to act on your behalf. Unlike some of our competitors, we would not need to refer you to an external company having recommended an insolvency process.

Can you help with Personal Debt?2018-01-20T07:47:58+00:00

Yes. Although we specialise in helping with small business debt problems, many of our clients are also suffering with personal debts (credit cards, loans, bank overdrafts etc). We will make sure our advice covers all your financial affairs.

In order to provide advice in relation to personal debts, firms must be licensed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Anderson Brookes Ltd is directly Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. *Before taking advice from any individual or organisation, it is essential that you verify that they are authorised to provide regulated advice. If you have already spoken with an Adviser but are unsure of their status, please feel free to call us on 0800 1804 933 and we will explain how to properly check them out.

For more information about our debt solutions contact us today.

CALL 0800 1804 933


“The service I received from Anderson Brookes was excellent. I’d already made the decision to cease trading but I didn’t know how to deal with my legal responsibilities as a Director. I went through the process of Creditors Voluntary Liquidation (CVL). Anderson Brookes helped me through every stage”.

Mr L C. Managing Director of #### Cash & Carry Ltd.

“I write to you having recently used your company to arrange an IVA. Throughout this process I was stressed to the point of being unwell and encountered many obstacles, all of which Khalid walked me through. I am now beginning to start the process of getting myself on the right track, and this is largely thanks to Khalid’s pragmatism.”.

Mr L. A., sole trader

“Neil helped me through the process of Liquidating my company. Although closing-down the company was quite stressful, it was surprisingly quick and Neil made sure I knew what to expect at each stage. I have recommended other business owners to Anderson Brookes and always received great feedback”.

JP, Director of XXX Ale House Limited

“Why my company ran into cash-flow difficulties, I was introduced to Neil at Anderson Brookes. We discussed lots of different options but I decided to place the company into Liquidation. The problems are now behind me and I’ve been able to set up a brand new, debt-free company”.

Miss G H - Director of #### In Exmouth Ltd

“Anderson Brookes helped me arrange a Business IVA. I was a sole trader and my plumbing business had run into financial problems. I was able to repay my debts through a voluntary arrangement over 5-years. I’m pleased to say; the business has been trading very successfully now for the last few years”.

Mr A C - trading as ‘### Plumbing & Heating’

“Just thought I would let you know that business is going extremely well I have no credit commitments, new car, new van and 2 good holidays a year and I really do owe all of that to you. I really appreciate your help in turning my life around. I would hate to think about where I would be if I hadn’t met you”.

Mr T. C. - Self-Employed Engineer

“I was introduced to Neil at Anderson Brookes as I needed help with a financial problem. It turned out that I just needed to have all the options explained. Within a month of taking advice, the problem was behind me. I’m happy to recommend Neil and Anderson Brookes to anyone that needs advice on debt”.

Miss L.H. - Informal Debt Settlement

“You were very helpful and professional.  It was a very stressful time, thanks to your work and management, I was able to relax again.”

Mrs S. T. - Sole Trader


Our professional and friendly team are on hand to provide you with the help and guidance you need at this difficult time.

CALL 0800 1804 933



Anderson Brookes Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales; the company registration number is 4213701. Anderson Brookes Ltd is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA); our FCA registration number is 669796. You can confirm our details on the FCA website Data Protection: our ICO registration reference number is Z5595675. Anderson Brookes Ltd does not administer ‘debt relief orders’, ‘debt management plans’ or handle ‘client money’. In the event we believe a debt management plan or debt relief order may be the most suitable debt solution we will provide you with the contact details of a reputable, non-fee charging organisation. The Money Advice Service are an independent service, set up by government to help people make the most of their money, they give free, unbiased money advice to everyone across the UK – online, over the phone and face to face. You can visit Money Advice Service at

Anderson Brookes Insolvency Practitioners Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales; the company registration number is 10324159.  Laura J Prescott and Brendan P Hogan are licensed to act as Insolvency Practitioners in the UK by the Insolvency Practitioners Association. Licence Numbers 15010 and 13030 respectively. Our VAT Registration Number is 249 5912 70. Data Protection: our ICO registration reference number is ZA201949. Anderson Brookes Financial Services Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales; the company registration number is 08660228.  Data Protection: our ICO registration reference number is ZA123471. All group companies are registered at 4th Floor, Churchgate House, Bolton BL1 1HL

Anderson Brookes Insolvency Practitioners Ltd operate a complaints procedure. In the first instance, please call 01204 255 051 or email to request a copy of the complaints process. If we are unable to deal with your complaint to your satisfaction, your complaint should be made to the Insolvency Complaints Gateway by visiting their website and completing and submitting their online form. Alternatively, you can print the form from their website and send it by post to The Insolvency Service, IP Complaints, 3rd Floor, 1 City Walk, Leeds, LS11 9DA or contact them by telephone on 0300 678 0015 (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm).

Some of the services provided by Anderson Brookes are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Some of the debt solutions we provide advice on are only available in England and Wales; Anderson Brookes does not provide services outside England and Wales. Anderson Brookes is a commercial, profit seeking organisation; depending on the services provided, fees may be payable. Any fees applicable will be confirmed to you in writing before any chargeable work is completed. Anderson Brookes operates a complaints policy; if you are not happy with the way we have  dealt with you or your case, please ask us for a copy of the policy.